At Gary W. Lee, DDS, our team wants to help you and your family avoid harmful conditions such as gum disease through effective oral hygiene habits that keep your smile clean. We encourage you to maintain daily habits such as flossing to stop bacteria from causing gum disease. We would be happy to provide further insight on how to floss effectively to improve your technique and reduce the risk of gum disease.
When food particles aren’t cleaned away from the teeth, they can accumulate in narrow spaces between the teeth and lead to gum disease. Your daily habits of brushing and flossing should be performed slowly and carefully rather than quickly to achieve a more efficient clean for your smile. Many patients struggle with proper flossing methods needed for a healthy smile, which is why we offer the following tips for flossing techniques:
– Always use proper floss products and never resort to random materials. Your dentist can provide recommendations on safe and effective products.
– The American Dental Association’s Seal of Acceptance also shows which products are safe for use.
– Use a gentle and slow method to avoid damage to your soft tissues.
– Make sure your string is about 16-20 inches in length to apply a fresh section of floss to each area and carefully extract the string to move on to a new section.
– Clean every bit of your smile, including your back teeth and the area behind.
– Select a high-quality floss string that won’t tear or fray when used.
– Visit the dentist for dental cleanings every six months, or as scheduled.
Our dentist, Dr. Gary W.D. Lee, would be happy to provide further information on flossing to prevent gum disease in Diamond Bar, California, and we invite you to contact Gary W. Lee, DDS at 909-861-2331 today.